Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Mornings


The mornings are bearable.
There's tea and Poonam's voice talking away and asking me what to make for breakfast and
the sound of her reminds me of fresh flowers
which we would steal as children
at the early hours of the day during Durga puja.

Poonam is small and strong and agile
and moves swiftly like the wind
And today she wiped off the tears from my face
And stops me from hitting ma and baba
in fits of anger and desperation.

There is naina walking around the house with her tiny feet
like the world is her playground and she owns the very earth she walks on
And she has everyone's attention all the time.
There is dad at the dining table reading the newspaper
And telling me not to smoke.

There is bhoot sniffing her food and refusing to eat it.
She wants what we eat, roti and chicken and break and eggs and chocolate and apples.
Then there's more tea and an attempt at writing for 20 minutes.
With ma, I have a slice of bread and butter at about 11,
after she has brushed and injected the first dose of insulin.

Then there is reading to be done but I'm bored with Chaucer and restoration comedy and I'd much rather text and surf instagram. 
In between there's more tea and cigarettes
And conversations with ma and mock fights with Poonam.
The morning ends at lunch time
And I think that mornings are quite okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment

blabberings

In the defense of a romantic

I was called an ‘out and out romantic’ today, while chatting with someone on a dating app. The comment took me by surprise and I was ready t...